Wrong Train Theory
I had been looking forward to that trip for weeks.
My suitcase was packed the night before. I had chosen my favorite clothes, downloaded a playlist for the journey, and even bought a book I had been saving for the train. It was supposed to be a simple holiday—a few quiet days away from deadlines, crowded streets, and everything that had been weighing on me.
That morning, I arrived at the station ridiculously early.
There was something beautiful about stations when you were going somewhere you wanted to be. The announcements, the smell of coffee, the sound of wheels rolling over the platform—everything felt like the beginning of a story.
When the train arrived, I hurried inside, found a window seat, and smiled as the city slowly disappeared behind me.
For the first hour, I was happy.
I watched buildings turn into fields. I took pictures of the sky. I drank my coffee and imagined the hotel waiting for me, the little cafés I would visit, and the sunset I had promised myself I would watch by the sea.
Then I noticed something strange.
The names of the stations passing outside my window were unfamiliar.
At first, I ignored it.
Maybe this train took a different route.
Twenty minutes later, I checked the map.
My stomach dropped.
I was going in the opposite direction.
For a moment, I simply stared at the screen.
Then came the excuses.
Maybe the train will somehow connect to my destination.
Maybe getting off now will only make things more complicated.
I've already been sitting here for more than an hour.
And, strangely, the last thought was the hardest one to let go of:
I've already come this far.
So I stayed.
Another station passed.
Then another.
With every kilometer, my destination became farther away.
Eventually, a conductor came by and checked my ticket. He looked at it, then at me.
“You're on the wrong train.”
“I know,” I said quietly.
He seemed confused. “Then why didn't you get off at the last station?”
I looked through the window.
I didn't have a good answer.
Maybe because admitting I was wrong felt worse than continuing.
Maybe because I had already invested time in the journey.
Maybe because part of me kept hoping that if I stayed long enough, the wrong train would somehow become the right one.
But trains don't change their destination just because you desperately want them to.
At the next station, I finally stepped off.
I had to buy another ticket. I lost several hours. My carefully planned afternoon was gone, and by the time I finally reached my destination, the sun was already beginning to set.
I was frustrated with myself.
But standing there with my suitcase, watching my train disappear into the distance, I realized something.
Getting off had cost me a few hours.
Staying would have cost me the entire trip.
Sometimes we remain in places, relationships, jobs, or dreams simply because we have already given them so much of ourselves. We count the years, the effort, the memories, the promises—and convince ourselves that leaving would make all of it meaningless.
But the time you've already spent is gone, whether you stay or leave.
The only thing still in your hands is where you go next.
And sometimes, the bravest thing you can do is admit that you boarded the wrong train.
Get off.
Even if you're embarrassed.
Even if you have to wait for another one.
Even if buying a new ticket costs you something.
Because staying on the wrong train doesn't bring you closer to where you want to be.
It only makes the journey back longer.
The wrong train will never become the right one simply because you stayed.



Comments
Post a Comment
Free to speak up is still under circumstances, no violence