Knowing

It was almost ten when I reached the hospital.

I had run from the parking lot, still wearing the clothes I had worn to work that morning, my laptop bag knocking against my hip with every hurried step. The office had kept me later than expected—one meeting becoming another, one urgent task breeding three more—and by the time I looked at the clock, guilt had already settled heavily in my chest.

I had promised her.

I’ll take over tonight. Go home. Get some sleep.

My sister had been at the hospital for two days.

Two nights beneath fluorescent lights. Two days of vending-machine coffee, half-eaten meals, and waking at the slightest movement of the ICU doors.

So I expected her to be angry when I arrived.

Instead, I found her sitting alone at the far end of the waiting room.

She was facing the window.

Beyond the glass, the city was scattered with lights, tiny and distant, as if there were another world out there where people were still ordering dinner, laughing at television shows, arguing over insignificant things.

She sat perfectly still.

There were TWS earbuds in both her ears.

For a moment, I simply watched her.

Something about her stillness frightened me more than tears would have.

“Hey.”

She didn’t turn.

I walked closer and touched her shoulder.

She startled slightly, then looked up at me.

“I’m sorry,” I said. “Work was—”

“It’s okay.”

Her voice was quiet.

Too quiet.

I sat beside her.

Up close, I could see how exhausted she was. Her eyes were swollen, but there were no tears on her cheeks. She looked as though she had already cried past the point where the body remembered how.

“What are you listening to?”

She blinked at me.

“What?”

I pointed to her ears.

She removed one earbud and stared at it for a second, as though she had forgotten it was there.

“Saybia.”

“Which song?”

A pause.

The Second You Sleep.

I smiled faintly. “I haven’t heard that in years.”

She didn’t smile back.

Instead, she put the earbud in my hand.

“Listen.”

I did.

The song was already somewhere in the middle. Soft. Melancholic. The kind of song that seemed harmless until you listened to it in a hospital at ten at night.

I looked at her.

She had turned toward the window again. Her hands rested in her lap, fingers intertwined so tightly that her knuckles had gone pale.

“Did the doctor say something?”

“No.”

The answer came too quickly.

I waited.

She swallowed.

“Not really.”

“Then what is it?”

She looked at me.

I had known that face my entire life.

I knew the face she made when she was angry. When she was embarrassed. When she was trying not to laugh. When she lied to our parents. When she was terrified but wanted everyone else to believe she wasn’t.

But I had never seen this expression before.

It was grief before grief had been given permission to exist.

“I don’t know how to go home,” she whispered.

I frowned. “You don’t have to. I’m here now.”

“No.” She shook her head. “I mean… after.”

One word.

After.

My throat tightened.

She wasn't looking at the view outside the window, she was looking at the ICU's door from the reflection on the window. 

“I keep thinking about stupid things.”

“Like what?”

“The cup on the kitchen table.”

I said nothing.

“The clothes I haven’t folded. A message I haven’t replied to. Something we were supposed to do next week.”

Her mouth trembled.

“We had plans.”

That was when the first tear fell.

She wiped it away immediately, almost angrily.

“We had so many plans.”

Another tear.

Then another.

“I don’t understand how the world can just—”

Her voice broke.

She pressed her fist against her mouth.

“How can it keep going?”

I moved closer, but she shook her head again.

“No, don’t.”

So I stopped.

Maybe she knew that if I touched her, she would fall apart.

Maybe she was afraid that once she started, she would never find her way back.

“I can handle losing things,” she whispered. “I’ve lost things before.”

Her eyes remained fixed on that reflection.

“But not this.”

She inhaled shakily.

“Not this person.”

The words were barely audible.

“I built my life around him.”

There it was.

The kind of love that had stopped being something she carried and had become part of her anatomy.

Her home.

Her future.

Her ordinary mornings.

The person whose existence had become so deeply woven into hers that losing them would not feel like losing someone else.

It would feel like being cut in half and expected to survive as though nothing essential were missing.

My sister bent forward suddenly, pressing both palms against her face.

And then came a sound I had never heard from her before.

Not quite a sob.

Something smaller.

More wounded.

Like her body was trying to break quietly so it wouldn’t disturb anyone.

“I don’t want to be strong,” she said behind her hands.

“You don’t have to be.”

“I don’t want people telling me I’ll be okay.”

“I won’t.”

“I don’t want to learn how to live without—”

She stopped.

She couldn’t finish.

I stared at the floor.

For once, there was nothing I could say.

No prayer that didn’t sound like bargaining.

No reassurance that wasn’t a lie.

No sentence large enough to hold what was happening to her.

So we sat there.

Two sisters beneath the cold hospital lights.

One of us waiting for news.

The other waiting for a miracle she seemed to have already stopped believing in.

The song continued quietly through the earbud still resting in my palm.

After a while, my sister reached for my hand.

Her fingers were ice-cold.

“Do you think people know?” she asked.

“Know what?”

She looks at the ICU doors.

“When it’s the last time.”

My chest tightened.

“The last conversation. The last time you hold someone’s hand. The last time they look at you and you’re stupid enough to think there will be another tomorrow.”

I couldn’t answer.

She closed her eyes.

“I wish I’d known.”

And then—

the ICU doors opened.

My sister’s hand tightened around mine.

A doctor stepped into the waiting room.

He looked around once.

Then his eyes found us.

My sister stood.

Slowly.

As if somewhere inside her, she already knew what he was about to say.

The earbud slipped from my hand and landed between our feet.

The song kept playing.

And before the doctor could speak, my sister whispered—

“I know.”

Comments

Popular Posts